Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Curmudgeon's Smoked Salmon Dip

Alright, since I don't have anything pithy to say at the moment and at least one loyal reader has urged me to post something, no matter how banal, I will post my newest recipe which I tried out over Thanksgiving.

I think that this appetizer/dip recipe turned out really well. I can't gauge how good it was from my family's reaction, or lack thereof (their idea of haute cuisine is "moons over my hammy" at Denny's) but I liked it and proceeded over the past week, much to my waistline's chagrin, to finish off the remainder.

The recipe makes an ample amount, enough for a party of 15 or more. With that said, here is the Curmudgeon's Smoked Salmon Dip Recipe. I am taking credit for this for two reasons. First I am a vain S.O.B. and why should I give credit to some schmoe on the internet (besides I know that once you take and try this you will slap your own moniker on it, so what's the difference.). Second, I made significant changes to the original recipe that I found so it truly is totally new.

Ingredients

4-6 oz of Smoked Salmon (I prefer the Costco, Kirkland brand)
16 oz of Whipped Cream Cheese
4Tbs of Sour Cream
4Tbs (at least, but more if you like) Horseradish
2-4 Tsp Dry Mustard (Coleman's)
3Tbs milk
1 bunch Green Onions
Capers

In a mixing bowl, place Cream Cheese, Sour Cream and milk. blend with a rubber spatula until smooth. Add Horseradish one Tbs at a time, mixing and tasting between each until it tastes good to you (Some people like horse radish more than others so this is really personal to your taste). Add Mustard and blend.

Chop your onions. I chop the onions to a length of about 5 inches leaving both white and green, and then finely slice. At the same time, slice your Salmon into 2 x 1/8th" strips. I find that sticking the Salmon in the freezer for 20 minutes before I am going to work with it, makes slicing a lot easier. Gently fold the Salmon and onions into the Cream Cheese Mixture.

Add capers (A few or a lot, your choice. I like capers, so I go for a lot but I realize that there are some who react to these tiny pickled flower buds the same Way my dog did. While I was preparing the recipe, Bailey, our Westie, parked himself at my feet in that hope, that springs eternal in all dogs, that a tasty morsel would come flying off the counter and that he would be quicker than me, observing the 5 second rule, in retrieving it. Much to his delight something did fly off the counter, in this case a wayward caper. Rather than the normal "grab and gobble" that is his M.O., he sniffed for a moment and then proceeded to roll around on it, like he does with various odoriferous unmentionables in our back yard. So as I say, the choice is yours on this one.)

Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour to allow all the flavors to meld and the dip to stiffen up. Serve with crackers or cocktail rye.

Editor's note: The Curmudgeon was criticized by his loyal reader for not having a picture of the finished dish. Since I ate it all before I decided to blog about it that is an impossibility but in deference to my fan, when the dish is finished it should look like a bunch of cream cheese with salmon pieces, onions and capers suspended in it. I hope that this is sufficient to cater to your theater of the mind!

No comments: