Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Christmas Carol for Christmas

The Curmudgeon likes Christmas. There are a lot of great things about Christmas, but one of my favorites is Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. The simple tale of Ebeneezer Scrooge's redemption on Christmas Eve evokes for me that warm glowing feeling that I always equate with the season. That and the fact that my family alternately compares me with either of Messrs. Scrooge or Marley at least once during every Christmas season. But be that as it may, I love A Christmas Carol.

With the latter point firmly established, the question becomes one of how best to enjoy this venerable classic. Of course the reading the story is the purist form of enjoying it. I try and do this once every Christmas. For a period of a couple of days the book can be found at my bedside or with me in the bathroom. Now what is always difficult is that the book is one of those that is best read aloud, as dickens prose sounds so good to the ear. This always causes me a problem because when I read the story aloud I use different voices for each character. This results in my wife knocking on the bathroom door wanting to know who I have in there with me. She is also none to thrilled when I decide to read it while she is trying to sleep. But somehow I always manage to get through it.

It is always hard to read A Christmas Carol while driving, so there is an audio version of the story that I recommend. A mid to late 1940's broadcast narrated by Orson Wells and starring Lionel Barrymore is outstanding and can be listened to during one of the many trips to the hardware store to buy replacement bulbs for your outside lights. I have my version on my iPod.




Finally, nothing is better than sitting down with a bowl of roasted chestnuts and watching this classic on T.V. I am only kidding about the chestnuts. Chestnuts may be on the list of joke foods that God made up when he created the world. I imagine him turning to one of the angels and laughing, saying "Let's tell them this is food and see if they'll eat it." The reaction I have to chestnuts is very similar to that expressed by Albert Brooks in Defending Your Life, when he is given a chance to taste the food that the Judgment City residents get to eat. But I digress. There are two versions of A Christmas Carol there bear watching repeatedly. Now I grew up watching the MGM version of the movie with Gene Lockhart and Reginald Owen and for many years I didn't know that other versions existed. But with age comes wisdom and somewhere in my 30's I discovered the 1951 Alistair Sim version of the classic and after my first viewing have never watched another live action version since. It, like Walt Disney's Mary Poppins, is a practically perfect movie. Give it a try, I think you'll like it.


For animated viewing, nothing can beat Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol. Schmaltzy songs (which will stick in your head for days, if not weeks after) and crummy animation, but nothing brings back childhood memories with my family like this one.


So the Curmudgeon hopes that you will enjoy one or all of the above mentioned versions of this classic this holiday season and that you get even a fraction of the satisfaction and joy they bring me.




No comments: